Section I Vocabulary (10 points)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1.
1. In some countries girls are still ______ of a good education.
A. denied B. declined C. derived D. deprived
2. As the years passed, the memories of her childhood ______ away.
A. faded B. disappeared C. flashed D. fired
3. Brierley’s book has the ______ of being both informative and readable.
A. inspiration B. requirements C. myth D. merit
4. If have any comments to make. I’ll write them in the ______ of the book I’m reading.
A. edge B. page C. margin D. side
5. My ______ would really trouble me if I wore a fur coat.
A. consciousness B. consequence C. constitution D. conscience
6. When the post fell ______. Dennis Bass was appointed to fill it.
A. empty B. vacant C. hollow D. bare
7. Mother who takes care of everybody is usually the most ______ person in each family.
A. considerate B. considerable C. considering D. constant
8. For ten years the Greeks ______ the city of Troy to separate it from the outside.
A. captured B. occupied C. destroyed D. surrounded
9. Other guests at yesterday’s opening, which was broadcast ______ by the radio station, included Anne Melnto